Slideshow

Monday, September 13, 2010

How did you know you could do this?



My grandmother asked me that question at a birthday party that I, for once, did not bake for.  I found myself wondering.....How did I get into this?

My mom had a huge hand in the matter.  She taught me how to bake. Doesn't seem like much of a thing to need lessons on, but later in life when I started doing projects on my own, I soon realized....there is a edge to it.  

You bake for 1 minute too long...burnt.  Too short....mushy. You can over mix, not measure correctly, forget in the middle of a batter if you already put the water in.  It took me a while to learn but I have my preferences now.  I prefer a gas oven over electric any day.  I love using the paper cups with the foil on the outside yet I still use the muffin pans.  I find it thrilling to try a new recipe inspired by a new party theme.  I'm constantly browsing the Internet for inspiration.  Sometimes I find myself waking up in the middle of the night with a new idea or vision.  I even save up ideas hoping for an event that will allow me to try a new fondant character or topping.

Even inside all the excitement of trying to figure out how this all got started, I realized I was using baking as a love language.  I would bake as a symbol of my affection for a person.  Gift giving but for the tummy. I remembered my very first edible gift was for my grandfathers funeral.  Even though I knew everyone would be bringing cakes and deserts, I had to bring one too.  

My grandfather served in the military so I found it fitting to make an American Flag cake.  I made it an ice cream cake with strawberries & blue berries and whipped cream. I saw the image in a magazine and knew I had to make it.  My mom helped me as I panicked over the process.  I don't think it came out very good and I don't even remember anyone eating it.  I gave something from the heart that honored my memory of him and I didn't even mind as it melted into a hazy puddle in the glass pan.

Since then, I've discovered a huge passion for creating art through painting and when cupcakes came back into my world as my daughter started growing up, I incorporated the two and expanded on my creating. 

I'll post all of my tasty projects on here for everyone to see.  Thanks for reading.

~~~Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment